Date of birth and Age: 4th April 1971 (age 47)
Hair colour and style: brown, long, floppy fringe
Eye colour, glasses or contacts, etc.: brown. No glasses etc.
Any other distinguishing physical characteristics: seems to look off into the distance without engaging with people or the world.
Describe two typical outfits your character would wear: dirty clothing that is thin and not suitable for cold weather. no coat. dark colours.
Height and Weight: five feet eleven with a thin/emaciated build.
List family members, partners, &/or children, and their ages: mother (deceased) Mary, father (unknown) no current siblings (one of identical twins – the other died at birth)
Current address: the steps of St Michael Le Belfrey.
Previous addresses: Surrey University acc OK notation. York, North Yorkshire.
Current occupation: homeless person
Previous occupations and education: has a masters in theology, never worked apart from in library at University of Sussex shelving books.
Hobbies: drugs (past), nothingness (present)
Favourite music: Pachelbel – Canon In D Major. Classical violin music. Some early organ music.
Pets, if any: none
Car or other transport, if any: none
List at least two problems your character has:
- Dissociative disorders involve problems with memory, identity, emotion, perception, behaviour and sense of self. … Examples of dissociative symptoms include the experience of detachment or feeling as if one is outside one’s body, and loss of memory or amnesia.
- Psoriasis is a long-lasting autoimmune disease characterized by patches of abnormal skin. These skin patches are typically red, dry, itchy, and scaly.
Describe a memory from his/her teenage years: running away from home and being brought back by the neighbour’s daughter, Ruth. Taming a wild beast. Had a crush on her after that. Her family moved away to Sussex. Met her again at University.
Describe a wedding or funeral your character has been to (it can be his/her own): mock funeral for his father with Ruth whilst both high on LSD. Her idea, his nightmare (father coming out of grave). Falls back into the nightmare since then and so afraid to sleep. Wakes screaming when does.
Describe your character’s greatest enemy: the person that gets him to relate his biography, at the end of his life, to sell on the street. This is the narrator (or main character if problems with knowing key facts of the story) of this story.
Describe your character’s greatest ally: Ruth and the saints and God.
List three secrets your character is keeping or has kept in the past:
- That the drugs did not affect his mind and lead him to a homeless state
- He longs to leave and yet longs to share his first secret with Ruth before leaving
- Ruth thinks that his mind is damaged because of repeated use of LSD and feels guilt because she introduced him to the drugs, experienced them in his company then left him to join a nunnery where she cleaned up.
List three things your character believes in:
- Redemption through detachment and suffering
What is your character’s greatest ability or talent? To endure.
What is your character’s greatest flaw? Stubbornness.
What would your character most like to change about his/her life (even if it’s impossible)? Ruth should know the truth.
List four words describing your character’s personality:
List some specific events or episodes from your character’s life that make him/her:
- Afraid: His father coming from the grave (see above)
- Laugh: The butterfly
- Angry: Being shaken from detachment and not being able to shake himself from it
- Ashamed: not being able to let Ruth know that she’s not to blame
- tender: memories of Ruth.
- Taking drugs with Ruth in the university accommodation. There’s this whole piece I wrote in this. I’ll link to it when I get on a computer
- Sitting on the steps of St Michael Le Belfry, or maybe outside Poor Clare Colettines (closed nun community) on Lawrence Street, York (since moved to Askham Bryan)
- Beyond. This is where Michael mostly lives. He sits and stares into nothing and nowhere. Whether he feels the cold or not, he trembles. He looks like he’s begging, but he’s not. He’s beyond. At least, that’s how it seems from the outside.