I saw this list in a book (Writing Fiction by Amanda Boulter) and I thought to myself ‘got to have it!’
I would have typed it all out again but then I thought ‘I wonder if someone has done the typing for me already.’ Someone has and so I reblogged. Thank you kindly.
1. Dialogue should be brief.
2. It should add to the reader’s present knowledge.
3. It should eliminate the routine exchanges of ordinary conversation.
4. It should convey a sense of spontaneity but eliminate the repetitiveness of real talk.
5. It should keep the story moving forward.
6. It should be revelatory of the speaker’s character, both directly and indirectly.
7. It should show the relationships among people.
~ ELIZABETH BOWEN